For those of you into comics, these past couple of days are for you. Read the post before this one and then make sure to read Mr. Fantastic’s response in the comments section. His comment is better than the blog post, with links to back up his points. Really, really well done.
Go read that then come back here.
One of my failings is, I don’t create enough of a sense of community by not replying enough to comments. I will work on improving that.
1) Excellent points on Superman. I do have to disagree on the last part though. I like to read about stiff white bread characters. Superman and Captain America are my two favorite ongoing characters. Well, I haven’t read their comics in years because they have been shite, but when written well, they are my favorites.
2) I think Iron Man was an Alcoholic before Speedy became addicted to heroin, but I might be wrong on that. Your kung-fu is strong, so you’re probably right.
3) Marvelman aka Miracleman is one of my favorite characters thanks to Alan Moore who, much like he did with the Swamp Thing, expanded on a stupid idea, gave it depth and breath and life. I agree on the premise though – looking for the hidden gems. I would add Invincible, The Walking Dead, and pretty much anything Mark Millar has ever written for any company.
4) Peter David and Frank Miller, at one time, were great writers. Miller’s run on Daredevil and David’s run on Hulk were both long and stunning and changed the characters forever, evolving them. Their influence still affects how the characters are written today. I couldn’t believe when Jean DeWolf died and loved the way Bendis portrayed her in Ultimate Spiderman.
5) I don’t know anything about the MAX line, the only title I’ve ever heard from it was Punisher Max. I do enjoy the Ultimates line though, particularly Fantastic Four, Spider Man and The Ultimates (before Jeff Loeb ruined them. Man I hate that guys writing.)